Friday 29 November 2013

Day 22 - Friday - The Painted Desert then Coober Pedy

Today I decided to not continue the last 200k of the Oodnadatta track and go south to the painted desert then off to Coober Pedy. That was 200km on Oodnadatta Road anyway which is off road. I got there with 20 km left in the tank but thats ok it was  well planned and i had spare in the car.

The painted desert is beautiful but I'm having major dramas downloading photos from my camera software to the net. Work in progress

The Painted Desert is an ancient Inland Sea bed where the hills are the result of rain, weather and erosion. The slopes and shapes include many different colours and shades of orange, yellow and white, and it is the coloured shale on the faces of the hills from which the name “Painted Desert” came. The various shapes are formed when the top layers of soil dry out and fall away to reveal the beautiful rich colours underneath.





Entering the Painted Desert





   
    Then back on the road to my next destination






My First Big Red Kangaroo




It was then off to Coober Pedy and checking in to my underground hotel.  The temperature is really nice in the room being underground.

www.radekadownunder.com.au


1 comment:

  1. Bet you are glad you had the underbody bash plates put on the car..are many other people travelling

    ReplyDelete