Wednesday 27 November 2013

Day 20 - Wednesday Rawnsley Park to Marree SA


Today was time to leave Rawnsley Park and head north to Marree. Another day of driving where the temperature continued to climb to 41 degrees. 

The usually wonderful scenery…(Im starting to sound repetitive)….

I stopped at Blinman, albeit had a look around an old cemetery, then drove off road towards Parachilna,  Leigh Creek, Lyndhust and arriving in Marree at 530pm



Such a sad event - Mother and four children under seven died in a fire in the 1800s

So many kids under two died in the late 1800s in this cemetery






Many Ghan bridges still remain













Maree Hotel
 I stayed at the Marree Hotel and met Mas and Phil the owners. 

Marree is a tiny outback town often frequented mainly by 4wd enthusiasts taking on the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks.  It was established in 1872 as a camp for the construction of the overland telegraph line. It also became the rail head for the Great Northern Railway, otherwise known as the GHAN. The town serviced all travellers heading north including the famous Afghan traders who drove their camel trains into the desert and played a significant role in opening up the outback. It was them who the GHAN was named after.

Again I was the only tourist in a town of 70 people.  Im told I am a little to late for the Aussie travellers and the Internationals from Europe will arrive in the coming weeks as the temperature gets upto 50 celcius. They aim to leave their winter and don't realise how hot it gets in the outback until they arrive.

Phil gave me some practical advice as to how to avoid flat tyres on the track, as many people encounter.. Warnings suggest take two spares with you…. Bugger. At least I have my temporary spare under the drawers I had installed. Lets hope I don’t need it.

My tyres are to stay at 30 psi and I travel at speeds of 60 to 80 depending on the road conditions. Most flat tyres are when the rocks  hit the front wheel and projectile back at very high speed and hit the back tires.

Im also told, if you break down stay with the car.  A local died recently walking the six km back for help. He only made it 5km.  The heat here will get you.
Lucky I got me sat phone and EPIRB…..


The track is 600km off road……Bring it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment