Friday 15 November 2013

Day 08 - Friday - Time to go to the high country in Victoria.

Paul has taken the day off and were off to the high country in the alpine region of Victoria.   After a few hours of driving and a quick stop at the Yellorn power station, we stopped for lunch at Mafra then went off road soon after.



We commenced the climb to 1600mtrs. Paul on his BMW bike and me following in Tommy Touareg.…All I can say is what an experience. The scenery, albeit in average weather was breathtaking. 































We arrived at Howitt Plains hut about 4 pm just in time, as Paul was about to get hypothermia as the rain finally soaked in to his gear.

Paul was riding in about 5 degree temperature in and out of rain showers with me in relative comfort at about 23 degrees and dry listening still to the only one cd i brought on the trip. Thanks George Michael…..( Sorry Roy. i know you would be very disappointed)


Paul warming his hands in Tommy Touareg

We set up camp, built a fire and Paul cooked jaffles for dinner. We then settled down for the night.  I felt like we were in the clouds, which we actually were. 

Only a few other campers here who are ok with the conditions.

Overnight the weather dropped to 3 degrees.   I tried  to  sleep in my tent, wearing thermals, ( lucky i brought those ) a jacket and a balaclava which assisted in keeping me warm. 

I just felt cold all night as the sleeping bag was too small for me.. Hence it wasn’t a good nights sleep for me at all. So much for roughing it.

Not sure why Paul owns such a Balaclava but I'm not about to ask. It kept me warm on a very cold night.


Paul says he slept well in his tent as he was exhausted which i understand.
















A well earned charddy

My full face balaclava that kept me warm overnight. As there were hunters with guns in the area, i took it off when outside of my tent for the obvious reasons…...

Convenient slide out table built into the Touareg


Master chef making Jaffles on the fire
Jay bear enjoying the journey
Paul was too cold to get out of bed

I was up early and made a successful camp fire out of the wet timber…..Im learning


1 comment: