Friday 8 November 2013

Day 2. Saturday Canberra to Narooma - A Pilgrim and Indian visit the big house on the way


After being hosted by Peter and Kylie at their new home and a lovely dinner at a local cafe idecided to get serious about this journey and visit the control room of the country...Parliament House.

On arrival i got to see Geoffrey Robertson QC doing an interview at the front. I wanted to ask him for a photo together but got to shy. Remember the ABC series Hypotheticals. They were great.


The building was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Architects and opened on 9 May 1988 by Elizabeth IIQueen of Australia. Costing more than A$1.1 billion, it was the most expensive building in the world at the time of its construction. 

Whooh. ....Didnt know that one.

That said I think its worth the value. Walking through it I was taken aback by how important this place is and what it represents. No matter what we may think of the behaviour of any of the people in the chamber, its the government that we have, and it works.

I was unexpectedly feeling very respectful of what the building represents not only of the past but for the future.



Upon entry inside i was met by some lovely security people who were in hysterics about the T-shirt I was wearing. Note above. Thanks Jay. It was his...

The picture of Harold Holt made me recall the day when I went to school in 1967 and a kid was asking me if my dad had died. I was only six.


Geoffrey Robertson QC
Harold Holt. PM 1967






The House of Representatives

The Senate

Its unclear why the rooms are red and green but are the same as the house of commons in England.


No comments:

Post a Comment