Monday 14 October 2013

Down and dirty.. then up again


Recently I have been worried that I bought an all wheel drive Touareg instead of a 4WD. There were no 4WD models in the country and I would have had to wait up to six months for delivery. Hence my choice.

When I rang to book training, John the trainer was reluctant to take me on a group training day with my Paddington Pram Carrier, ( not his words ) due to the unknown capability of this "Soft roader".  He was although, happy to do a one on one day with me to test the car out.

So up at 5am and off to Lithgow I go. Arriving at our 4WD spot with a warm temperature of only 3 degrees
was in stark contrast to the 36 degree day in Sydney the day before.  Fitting that the Touareg started chiming with an alert on the dash warning of snow.........(cute)

To Johns surprise and mine ( after almost soiling myself on occasions) , Tommy Toureg proved himself climbing steep ascents of rough rocky, rutted and very steep tracks with relative ease. To be honest I was shocked what my car can do. Heaps of fun ( and nerves ) but I ended the day with a new found beginners confidence. Of course much more practice is needed. (any takers?)

I probably wont go to the extremes of what I have learnt often, but at least I know how to approach obstacles and decide if i can get out of a situation or just turn around.

The photos don't really show the how steep or rutted the dirt was, but it was not kids stuff.

Thanks to John for a wonderful day of training and knowledge on how to prepare for my trip.

Recommend Johns training to anyone interested in off road and has a vehicle.

http://australian-4x4.com.au

(Peter Warrington lets book you and i will meet you there)














2 comments:

  1. Well done to both Keith and Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Keith congratulations! When I was driving the Polo over the Blue Mountains I got the same dash alert too. My initial thoughts were that it was warning me of possible snow, but I think what it's actually trying to tell you is the road conditions - at under 4 degrees there's a good chance of ice on the road.

    ReplyDelete